The Transition Academy is best suited for young adults diagnosed with high-functioning autism who need additional time and training before launching into adult life. Your successful transition to independent living and competitive employment is our goal. Applicants must be motivated toward independence, willing to participate in all aspects of the program, and eager to learn new skills. Some prerequisite skills are required. We have space for eight (8) students for the incoming class. Candidates meeting qualifications and the order of complete applications received will prioritize admission.
Complete an online request for more information at www.29acres.org. Our Program Director Lisa Deer will send you an email to request a phone appointment and start the process. We look forward to speaking with you!
- Please note: We highly recommend you speak with the program director prior to applying. The $250 fee is non-refundable and we want to help ensure there may be a fit prior to you paying the fee and completing the application.
- Go to the online application and create an account here.
- Pay the non-refundable $250 application fee.
- Please complete the application through your dashboard. This involves three steps:
- General Information
- Authorization and Supplemental Documents
- Skills Inventory
- You may save your work in case you need multiple sessions to complete the application. Your application is considered complete once all three steps are finished.
- Our admissions committee will review your application materials after all documents are received and your application is complete.
- If there appears to be a good fit, we will contact you to arrange for an interview.
- If the documentation indicates the Transition Academy is not an appropriate program for the applicant, or the applicant does not meet the entrance requirements, an interview will not be scheduled and the applicant will receive a letter of non-acceptance.
Tour and First Interview
- Applicants and their parents or guardians are invited to tour our facilities and interview with our program director and administrative staff. We will speak with the student and parents or guardians together and separately.
- Please arrange for up to 3 hours for this visit.
- The applicant may be asked for further testing or information.
- We believe this interview and visit also enables applicants to be better prepared to make a decision whether they choose to enter the program.
- If there appears to be a good fit between the applicant and the Transition Academy, a second interview will be arranged.
- If there is not a good fit, the committee will make recommendations to enable you to better prepare before reapplying, or suggest other programs.
- Following a successful first interview, applicant records are verified.
- A second interview is arranged
- The purpose of the second interview is to ascertain whether the applicant is still interested in the program, understands the rules and is willing to participate and comply.
- This also gives our staff more time to evaluate whether the individual will be best served through our program.
- The interview procedure is structured to identify whether applicants are extremely motivated and express a commitment to live independently, increasing the likelihood that they are prepared to successfully complete the program.
- Applicants will be offered a place in our incoming class following a successful second interview and will receive an acceptance letter and welcome packet.
- In the case of long distance, this interview may be conducted electronically.